Fully Discrete Microphone Preamp
The Warm WA12 500 mkII 500-Series is a high-grade, fully discrete microphone preamp including a HI-Z instrument input and 48V Phantom Power. The fully discrete circuitry, based around a discrete op-amp (the X731) is Warm Audio’s own reproduction of the classic Melcor 1721, to deliver exceptional warmth for your inputs. The X721 op-amp produces a clean and natural tone, which can be driven into mild saturation at higher gain levels for added crunch. The result is rich and vibrant tones that retain their natural harmonic qualities, picking up every nuance of your source material. The WA12-500 MK II is designed to improve the shape and sound of your signal, transforming your flat instrument and microphone tones into something exciting with rich overtones and added warmth. The eurorack style module will fit neatly into, and be powered by, a 500 series eurorack.
The WA12-500 MK II features a wide range of premium-quality components designed to improve the audio performance of your source material and improve overall sonic qualities. The premium grade input and output USA CineMag Transformers combine with the all discrete signal path to deliver exceptional audio quality and sonic performance. The result is a high headroom low-noise microphone preamplifier with high gain that delivers exciting tones to add life to your input signals. There is output attenuation control (after the CineMag output transformer) that allows you to drive the preamp and transformers into saturation for added versatility, allowing you to add grit to your signal. The 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z Input is located on the front panel of the preamp and sends instrument signals through the entire circuit, delivering vibrant tones, perfect for guitars, bass and other instruments featuring a 1/4” output jack. The WA12-500 MKII is designed to bring out the best from your microphone and instruments, perfect for capturing studio-grade recordings.
Metering & Design
Metering on the WA12-500 MK II is handled by the LED gain meter, with a 5-step LED configuration providing visual feedback on your signal level. The TONE button located on the front panel switches the input impedance from 600 ohms to 150 ohms, changing the tone of both the mic and HI-Z inputs, providing another tone for varied applications. The front-panel features the HI-Z instrument input with two gain and output rotary knobs for precise level control. You are provided with 71dB of gain and high headroom, allowing you to record a variety of high-level and low-level instruments. A 28dB pad is also included for hotter sources such as kick drums recorded through the microphone, giving you added room for a cleaner signal. Additionally, there’s a range of buttons on the front that enable functions such as the Hi-Z input, 48V Phantom Power and more.
- Premium grade input and output USA CineMag transformers
- 71db of Gain, fully discrete signal path
- Utilises a discrete 6-pin socketed 1731 style opamp. Can be replaced with other 6-pin “2520 foot-print” opamps for varying tone/flavour
- TONE button – Switches the input impedance from 600 ohms to 150 ohms. Changes the tone of both the mic and HI-Z inputs
- 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z input on front panel. Sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both CineMag Transformers and the discrete opamp. Great for guitars, bass, keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4″ output jack
- 48 Volt Phantom Power
- Output attenuation control (after the CineMag output transformer) allows for driving the preamp and transformers into saturation
- LED Meter gain indication
- 20dB pad
Kazbar Systems Product Demonstration Services:
Contact us to arrange your demo now!