The Warm Audio TB-12 Tonebeast Tone Shaping Mic Pre and DI is a great mic pre with loads of gain that can effortlessly capture an array of sources very well. With top notch CineMag transformers and multiple discrete signal paths, it’s hard to beat its big, bold, fully-professional sound at its price.
The TB12 Tone Beast is a mic pre that likes to be pushed and when pushed will colorize your signal ever so sweetly. The 2 opamps and 2 output transformers at the flip of their switches won’t appear to be much different, but as one drives the pre into harmonic distortion, the unique character of each of these components becomes apparent. Additionally the Tone Beast is customizable and allows for other opamps to be sourced and easily swapped into the unit. I’ve pulled my best tones from this pre right at the saturation point (as loud as I can push the gain before clipping). The output control on the TB12 allows you to limit the signal exiting the preamp even when pushing the gain to really hot levels, giving you maximum control.
Home-based musicians and professional studios alike will find the Tone Beast to be an extremely powerful and fully professional piece of gear that is capable of warming and shaping signals/mixes in a way that is very pleasing to the ear.
The main features of the Warm Audio TB-12 Tonebeast Tone Shaping Mic Pre and DI include:
- Discrete 312 preamp design with coupled CineMag Transformers
- 71db of gain
- Transformer selection provides both Steel and 50% Nickel CineMag output transformers for varying character
- Transformer bypass switch allows for removal of the output transformer from the circuit
- Discrete Opamp selection provides both the classic 1731(vintage) and 918(cleaner) style opamps. These are socketed/swappable with your choice of 2520 6 pin footprint opamps.
- Impedance switch labeled TONE to switch between 150 and 600 ohms input impedance
- Capacitor selection between Tantalum and Electrolytic for different characters
- 80hz hipass filter
- Polarity Reverse
- +48V phantom ACpower
- Output attenuation allowing for saturation flexibility of both the opamps and transformers
- ¼” insert for the use of inline compressors, eq’s etc..
- Balanced XLR mic (front and back), balanced TRS line, and ¼” instrument inputs
- Balanced XLR and TRS outputs
- -20db Pad
- LED VU Meter
- 19″ rackmountable
- External line-lump 24V AC power transformer for low noise
Kazbar Systems Product Demonstration Services:
Contact us to arrange your demo now!