The legendary Neumann U87, known for its warm, rich sound and precision engineering, is perhaps the world’s most widely used large diaphragm condenser studio microphone. It is equipped with a large dual-diaphragm capsule with three directional patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid and figure-8. These are selectable with a switch below the headgrille.
A 10 dB attenuation switch is located on the rear. It enables the microphone to handle sound pressure levels up to 127 dB without distortion. Furthermore, the low frequency response can be reduced to compensate for proximity effect.
When making a professional studio investment, this microphone is always on the list.
This product is also available in a black finish here.
- Variable large diaphragm microphone
- Pressure-gradient transducer with double membrane capsule
- The studio microphone classic
- Three directional characteristics: omni, cardioid, figure-8
- Switchable low frequency roll-off
- Switchable 10 dB pre-attenuation
- Ideal as main and as support microphone in the most differing recording situations
- Advanced Output Circuitry – Although the microphone features the original capsule, the U 87 AI features improved output electronics that provide higher sensitivity and improved signal-to-noise ratio
- A Wooden Jeweler’s Case is included with this microphone
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Omnidirectional, cardioid, figure-8
- Frequency range: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 20/28/22 mV/Pa*
- Rated impedance: 200 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1000 ohms
- Equivalent SPL CCIR 468-3: 26/23/25 dB*
- Equivalent SPL DIN/IEC 651: 15/12/14 dB-A*
- S/N ratio CCIR 468-3: 68/71/69 dB*
- S/N ratio DIN/IEC 651: 79/82/80 dB*
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%: 117 dB (cardioid)
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5% with preattenuation: 127 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 390 mV
- Dynamic range of the microphone amplifier cardioid DIN/IEC 651: 105 dB
- Supply voltage: 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption: 0.8 mA
- Matching connectors: XLR 3F
- Weight: 500 g
- Diameter: 56 mm
- Length: 200 mm
* Omnidirectional / cardioid / figure-8
Product Demonstration Services @ Kazbar Systems
If you are a professional producer, sound designer, engineer or are part of a commercial studio and wish to audition a product on-site in your studio, then you’re in the right place.
We specialize in hands on one-to-one demonstrations of pro audio equipment such as; monitors & outboard and also provide demoonstrations for our range of botique synthesizers and effects.
Contact us to arrange your demo now!