The Empirical Labs EL8XS Distressor Stereo is a digitally controlled audio device and actually incorporates several products into one by utilizing digital controls to switch totally different circuits in and out. Years of beta testing and redesign went into the Distressor as will be the case with all Empirical Labs products.
The Empirical Labs EL8XS Distressor Stereo offers a warm, vintage sound by using a custom designed gain control circuit. This “warmth” or vintage sound has become an important issue in the last 15 years, as the super clear and linear digital technology does very little (or nothing) to soften “harsh” sounds nor emphasize the bass frequencies in music sources.
The Empirical Labs EL8XS Distressor offers several modes that color the signal, even without compression (or gain control). These extended modes were designed to allow emulation of some very old and some very expensive vintage gain control units (compressors & limiters) and deliver a classic “knee” sound all its own.
- Freq. response is 2 Hz to 160 kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB). Response is shaped in distortion modes (Dist 2, Dist 3).
- Dynamic range 110 dB from max. output to min. output in 1:1 mode. Greater than 100 dB signal to noise in distort 3 mode.
- Distortion ranges between .02% and 20% depending on distortion mode and release times set on front panel.
- DC coupled output – High quality input caps
- Input impedance is 20K Ohms, Output impedance is < 75 ohms
- Time constants – Attack range 50uS – 50mS. Release range .05 sec to 3.5 seconds, normal modes and up to 20 seconds in 10:1 opto mode. Time constants are dependant on ratio.
- Metal Chassis – single height 1.75″ high, 10″ deep, 19″ wide
- Dimensions: 22.5″ x 18.5″ x 6 1/4
- Weight: 24.2 lbs
Kazbar Systems Product Demonstration Services:
Contact us to arrange your demo now!