Focal SM9 Active Studio Monitor Left Single
The Focal SM9 Active Studio Monitor is a new standard studio monitoring from establsihed french speaker manufacturer Focal.
Focal / JM Lab has been around for more than 30 years but it is only fairly recently that they started making pro studio monitors; they also produce home and car audio products, headphones and public address systems. Since turning their attention to studios they have produced some of the most highly regarded monitors ever seen due to their detailed reproductionof the audio signal, as well as unconditional respect of the original dynamics. Every stage of the manufacture process, from conception to manufacture and testing, is under complete control of the company, nothing is outsourced and the whole process of creating a Focal speaker is kept close to the heart of the developers.
The SM9 Active Studio Monitor is Focal’s flagship product and is essentially two systems in one box, a 30Hz-40kHz three-way speaker or in 'Focus' mode, a bandwidth-restricted two-way system that allows the checking of EQ and balance in the mid-range. In full-range mode, the 11-inch passive radiator at the top, 8-inch woofer, 6.5-inch mid and 1-inch inverted dome beryllium tweeter work as a single unit. Push the Focus button and the radiator and woofer go dormant, while the mid and tweeter become the new full-range option using a reconfigured crossover. riving these speakers are three amplifiers, each operating in Class-AB mode, with 40W for the bass and 100W each for mid-range and treble. On the back of the speakers there are the amplifier EQ controls made up of a high-pass filter and a separate equalizer designed to allow you to compensate for anomalies in your listening environment.
The amount of detail you get from these monitors in three-way mode is staggering, they translate every audible subtlety in a way that is easy for the listener to pick out. By switching to the two-way Focus mode it allows you to concentrate more and expose problems in the mid-range. The SM9 is quite possible the finest monitor in its class today presenting a very special listening experience.
The main features of the Focal SM9 3-Way Active Studio Monitor Include;
- Active 3-Way design w/ addition of a specially designed 11-inch passive radiator for improved accuracy in sub-bass reproduction over other designs
- Drivers feature Focal's now famous "W" composite sandwich cone technology
- Beryllium tweeters ensure the fastest, most accurate, and least annoying high frequency reproduction
- Guaranteed to make you the envy of all your engineering friends...especially once they hear your mixes
- Frequency response: 3-way mode: 30Hz - 40kHz (+/- 3dB) / 40Hz - 20kHz (+/- 1dB) - 2-way mode (Focus): 90Hz - 20kHz (+/- 3dB)
- Maximum SPL: 3-way mode: 116dB SPL (peak @ 1m) / 2-way mode (Focus) : 106dB SPL (peak @ 1m)
- Input: Type / Impedance: Electronically balanced / 10 kOhms
- Connector: XLR
- Sensitivity: Adjustable, +4dBu or -10dBV
- Bass: 400W, class AB
- Midrange: 100W, class AB
- Treble: 100W, class AB
- Passive radiator: 11WPP52, 11” (27cm) Focal Wcomposite sandwich cone piston, extra wide inverted surround radiator
- Subwoofer: 8W7571, 8” (20cm) Focal W composite sandwich cone driver
- Midrange: 6W0452, 6.5” (16.5cm) Focal W composite sandwich cone driver
- Tweeter: TB872, 1” pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter
- Construction: 0.88”(22mm) and 1.2” (30mm) panels with internal braces
- Finish: Black natural veneering top and bottom panels, black body
- Dimensions: 12.8” x 19.6” x 15.6” (320mm x 490mm x 390mm)
- Net weight: 77lb (35kg)
Written by; Joe Fields
Product Demonstration Services @ Kazbar Systems
If you are a professional producer, sound designer, engineer or are part of a commercial studio and wish to audition a product on-site in your studio, then you're in the right place.
We specialize in hands on one-to-one demonstrations of pro audio equipment such as; monitors & outboard and also provide demonstrations for our range of boutique synthesizers and effects.
Contact us to arrange your demo now!