AEA R92 Passive Studio Ribbon Microphone
The AEA R92 Passive Studio Ribbon Microphone features reduced proximity bass boost and excellent wind blast protection making it suitable for close miking of guitar and bass amps, drums, and vocals.
At half the distance to the source, the AEA R92 delivers a similar bass-to-treble balance as the R84. In addition, the integrated shockmount and swivel allow for easy setup and positioning in tight spaces. The smooth high frequency response of the R88 and R84 transducers has been further extended in the R92, making it a unique voice in the world of ribbon mics.
AEA has designed the R92 to have slightly different tones on the front and rear pickup lobes of the bidirectional microphone. The front lobe of the R92 is the "crisp" side, offering exceptionally clean and realistic high end detail. The rear lobe is the "smooth" side, which has a bit of classic ribbon high end roll-off reminiscent of the iconic 44 that can help to handle harsh transients in a very refined and flattering way. The bass reproduction of the R92 is very solid and extends to the lowest audible bass frequencies.
Like all figure-of-8 microphones the R44 or R84 ribbons are subject to proximity effect - the increase in bass as you move the microphone closer to the source. While this effect can be particularly flattering for singers and to create a “larger than life” sound, it can get too much and overpowering in some recording situations. Thanks to its purely passive signal path and Wes’ bag of acoustic tricks, the R92 not only handles the SPL levels of a high-gain amp with ease, but it also translates all the gritty details of the distortion that you’ve been tweaking so carefully.
The main features of the AEA R92 Passive Studio Ribbon Microphone include:
- Ideal for close miking situations
- Same Big Ribbon, tuning, and transformer as the R44 series
- For closer applications and louder sources
- Compact design with different front and back tonality
- Versatile for close-up and ambient mic applications
- Particularly well suited for electric guitar, electric bass, and drums
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional (Figure-of-8)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165+ dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 1.8 mV/Pa (-55 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.2 kΩ or greater
- Powering: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 3 m captive cable
- Weight with Cable: 2 lbs (0.9 kg)
- Height: 7.5” (19.1 cm)
- Width: 2.9” (7.4 cm)
- Depth: 2.5” (6.4 cm)
PRODUCT DEMONSTRATION SERVICES @ KAZBAR SYSTEMS
If you are a professional producer, sound designer, engineer or are part of a commercial studio and wish to audition a product on-site in your studio, then you're in the right place.
We specialize in hands on one-to-one demonstrations of pro audio equipment such as; monitors & outboard and also provide demonstrations for our range of boutique synthesizers and effects.
Contact us to arrange your demo now!