AEA A440 Phantom Powered Ribbon Microphone
The AEA A440 Phantom Powered Ribbon Microphone is the quietest high-performance ribbon microphone ever produced. It combines all of the warmth and beauty of the classic 44 with a signal so hot, you’ll have to experience it to believe it.
As with the rest of AEA's Big Ribbon microphones, the AEA A440 needs very little EQ, takes it nicely when you want it, and is free of resonances in the audible range. The A440 is unlike any other microphone on the market today, and no professional studio should be without one.
The A440 is based on the RCA 44BX, but is phantom powered and uses a custom-made German transformer. The active electronics are inspired by AEA’s acclaimed TRP JFET preamp technology, providing a consistent sound immune to preamp loading. The A440 uses the same RCA NOS (new-old stock) ribbon element, only 1.8 microns thick, which is hand-cut from material originally manufactured for RCA. It features a museum-quality shell with a durable bronze investment cast yoke. Umber paint and a red medallion on the transformer case, and a bright nickel finish with polished brass accents are the icing on the cake for this piece of beauty.
Because of its exceptionally low noise floor and its classic sound characteristics, the A440 has quickly become a favorite of even the most critical ears. Orchestral sampling experts EastWest Studios now favor their pair of A440s over their vintage RCA 44s due to the advantages in noise performance.
Musicians with very high sound-quality demands and the desire for a long-lasting investment for their microphone locker gravitate towards the A440. Legendary guitarists Peter Frampton & Neil Young, or Irish alternative rockers The Script, all share their love for this stunning microphone.
The main features of the AEA A440 Phantom Powered Ribbon Microphone include:
- Phantom-powered Big Ribbon technology
- Extraordinary build quality
- Custom German toroidal transformer
- Quietest ribbon microphone ever made
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional (Figure-of-8)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 15 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 136+ dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 21 mV/Pa (-33.5 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Self Noise: 9 dB(A)
- Output Impedance: 92 Ω broadband
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.0 kΩ or greater
- Powering: P48 phantom power, 7 mA
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 3 m captive cable
- Includes Custom storage / shipping case, stand adapter, manual
- Weight with Cable: 7 lb 9 oz (3.43 kg) in storage case with cable
- Height: 12.25” (31.1 cm)
- Width: 4.62” (11.7 cm)
- Depth: 3.25” (8.3 cm)
Product Demonstration Services @ Kazbar Systems
If you are a professional producer, sound designer, engineer or are part of a commercial studio and wish to audition a product on-site in your studio, then you're in the right place.
We specialize in hands on one-to-one demonstrations of pro audio equipment such as; monitors & outboard and also provide demonstrations for our range of boutique synthesizers and effects.
Contact us to arrange your demo now!